«

»

Jan 20 2012

Print this Post

Notes from the Workshop: 20120120

Click the picture to see the gallery

Filling Knots with Epoxy

Usually I’ll just layout a project so I don’t have to deal with knots, but in the case of this beautiful walnut board, the knots and surrounding wood are the whole point. To make the board usable, I needed to fill in the knots.This is the first time I’ve tried epoxy to fill knots and it worked pretty well, but I would have done a few things differently, but let’s start at the beginning.

First I used a card scraper on the walnut to produce some fine dust to mix into the two-part epoxy. After collecting all the dust, I mixed a test batch of epoxy and added dust until the epoxy was an even color. I dolloped the epoxy onto a piece of wax paper and waited a few hours for it to dry. Then I took the sample and compared it to the areas I wanted to fill.

I was pretty happy with the color so I mixed a larger batch of epoxy/sawdust and started filling holes. On the smaller knots I just spread a thin layer over the top and let the epoxy seep in. On the large through-knot I put a piece of wax paper on the down then clamped the board on top of the wax paper to keep the epoxy in place. Then I just filled the hole to the top.

After the epoxy cured for about an hour (I figured if I let the epoxy completely harden removing the waste would be tougher), I used a chisel to remove most of the epoxy above the plane of the board and then used a card scraper to make the patch flush.

For the smaller knots the epoxy patches look pretty good, but it seems that the outer surface of the epoxy is darker than the scraped surface. This make the epoxy lighter than I was hoping. In the large knot, the patch color is way lighter than the original knot, and doesn’t look as good as I’d hoped. I should have punched the entire knot out before patching. I also should have taken a bit of advice from Shannon Rogers and tried using dye to darken the epoxy, but I didn’t have any dye on hand at the time.

Be sure to check out the pictures, especially the ones where I caught the epoxy expanding.

————————————————————

Click picture to see gallery

Experimenting with Wood Glue

After Stephen Shepherd posted his article last year on hide glue I decided to buy some and experiment. I picked up a small bottle of TiteBond liquid hide wood glue (+Titebond Adhesives). I know purists would have me use something like Old Brown Glue, but I was able to find this on the shelf locally.

I tested the hide glue on two different projects, a dovetailed box I made a while ago and never glued together and a sample dovetail out of a piece of scrap oak that I’ll eventually try reverse the glue bond and pull apart.

When I started pouring the hide glue out of the bottle, I noticed it was more viscous and gooey than wood glue. It was like pouring honey out of a bottle. This meant that I had to be careful when I pulled the bottle away so I didn’t get strings of glue all over the place. It isn’t a real con, you just have to be aware of it and be more careful. Then when I spread out the glue with a brush, the glue really stuck to the brush. I don’t see spreading this as thin as I do with wood glue.

After I spread glue over all the box’s mating surfaces, I put the box back together and wiped up all the squeeze-out with a wet paper towel. There really doesn’t seem to be a difference in ease of cleanup between the hide glue and regular wood glue. I didn’t end up clamping the box because the dovetails were tight enough to hold it together — actually I was just too lazy to break out the pipe clamps. Luckily the joints didn’t blow apart as the glue dried. Given how open (or poorly cut) the dovetails were, the hide glue held the box together well even after I hit the joints hard a few times with a mallet.

I glued the pieces of oak together the same way. This joint was a little tighter, but the glue also seemed to hold well. Next when I get some time I’ll see If I can pull it apart.

Permanent link to this article: http://workshop.electronsmith.com/content/notes-workshop-20120120/

5 comments

Skip to comment form

  1. Chris Wong

    Hi Benjamen,

    It was interesting reading about your experiment using epoxy to fill the knot holes.  When I make cribbage boards, I often have voids that need to be filled.  I use clear, un-coloured 5-minute epoxy and build it up in layers because it shrinks as it dries.  Then I scrape and sand it flush once it’s hardened.

    Chris

  2. Steve

    Why the Google image gallery?

    1. benjamen

      Steve, I’ve tried all sorts of ways to present my posts and to make it easier for me to post content and I’ve found it’s just easier to use Google. The easier it is to post the more I’ll do it.

      Right now my workflow is in Picasa and it is simple just to upload photos to Google (which keeps all the captions and other info). Besides that, there is a very active woodworking community on G+ and I cross post all of my stuff there. Using Google for the photo albums makes that simpler.

      Do you not like the new galleries, are you experienceing a particular problem, or are you just curious? I’m always open for suggestons.

      1. Steve

        Google opened in a slideshow format that I didn’t like. I now see how to close that and get a thumbnail view. Much better. I was also just curious.

        1. benjamen

          I fear that ultimately Picasaweb will be gone replaced by G+ and many of my links will be toast, that’s why I started linking to the G+ galleries.

          I’m not totally wild about how the slideshows work either (especaily how the captions appear as a comment on the top right rather than the bottom of the puicture). I would like to embed the slideshow in my page, but the problem is that they keep changing how they work. I’ll go back to an old post and find it doesn’t link to what it used to so I have to go back and change the link.

Comments have been disabled.